If I Remarry, Must I Still Pay Child Support Or Can I Still Receive It?

divorce lawyerOur divorce lawyers in Central Pennsylvania are often asked questions about second marriages and their impact on child support.

Questions like:

-If I get married again, can I still receive child support from my ex?
-If my ex gets married again, is he or she still obligated to pay child support?
-If after I go through mediation services and my new spouse adopts my child, is my ex still obligated to pay child support?

As a general rule, a new marriage doesn’t change entitlement or obligations regarding child support. If you are getting married again and you have custody of a child or children from a prior marriage, you are still entitled to receive child support from your previous spouse.

At the same time, if you’re ex-spouse gets remarried, he or she is still financially responsible for any children from your prior marriage.

Adoption, however, is different. The act of adopting a child severs the relationship between biological parent and child. This includes the termination of the obligation of support.

There are exceptions to every rule and therefore, please consult with a family law attorney to discuss the specifics of your situation.

For more information on this topic or any other topic related to issues of divorce, custody, support or family law in general, please contact us or call (800) 615-0115.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *