Ask a Question

My Wife and I Have Duel Citizenship. Which Country’s Divorce Laws Do We Fall Under?

My wife and I both have dual citizenship in Australia and The US. Where do we need to get our divorce?


1 Answer


Thank you for the question. From a Pennsylvania standpoint what matters is where you have resided for the past six months. If one or both of you have been living primarily in Pennsylvania for the past six months then Pennsylvania would be appropriate. I cannot speak to Australian law as it may be quite different. From a practical standpoint it is probably best to proceed with the divorce where most of the assets are located. For instance if you own a home and have bank accounts in Pennsylvania you will probably want to proceed here. I would recommend that you contact an attorney in Australia to find out the requirements for proceeding there.


All of the information on the Colgan & Associates, LLC web site is for informational purposes only. Merely visiting our websites does not create an attorney-clent relationship with the law offices of Colgan & Associates, LLC. Nothing placed upon this website is intended to be relied upon as legal advice. Our office accepts e-mails from parties that visit this website, but the sending of such e-mails does not create an attorney-client relationship and therefore these communications cannot be treated as privileged or confidential.

Contact Us

611 Gettysburg Pike, Suite 201
MechanicsburgPA 17055

Phone: (717) 502-5000